Now Playing: Alternatives to Vaginal Hysterectomy for Fibroids
Vaginal Hysterectomy Video Presentation
Related Cervical Cancer Articles
Video Text
If you have fibroids, there are different ways to try and get rid of them. You can wait and watch for any changes, you can try medicine, or you can have different types of surgery.
Just watching the fibroids, to see if they get larger or if more of them grow, is called observation. You will have to visit the doctor regularly to watch them.
You can also try medicine to make the fibroids go away. Medicine is usually not as good as surgery for two reasons. The first reason is that medicine does not help all women in the same way. It might work great for one woman, but not at all for you. The other reason is that medicine only makes the fibroids shrink, usually by about 50 percent. They do not go away. If you stop taking the medicine the fibroids usually grow back. Some women take the medicine to shrink the fibroids before surgery, to make them easier to remove.
There are several types of surgeries to take out fibroids. One type of surgery uses a very small camera to find the fibroids and take them out. This surgery is called a hysteroscopy. The hysteroscopy can only be used for certain kinds of fibroids, such as those that are in the lining of the uterus. Most people who have this surgery may need to have it done again in 5 to 10 years.
Another surgery is called a myomectomy. During this, the fibroids are usually taken out of the uterus, but the uterus is left inside your body. For many women, this means their symptoms should go away and they can still try to have children. If you have a lot of bleeding, a lot of pain in your abdomen, and you don't want more children, a hysterectomy might be a better surgery to have.
You should talk about the different options with your doctor, who will help you decide which one is best for you.
eMedTV Links
Copyright © 2006-2019 Clinaero, Inc.

eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.

This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.